This recipe is a favourite of mine; whenever attending a BYO plate party or function I bring this along.
- 2 loaves of sliced bread (white or wholemeal – your choice ~ only 1 and a half is used).
- 1 x 250g Cream Cheese
- 2 Tablespoons of Mayonnaise
- Grated Tasty Cheese
- 1 Lebanese Cucumber or similar sized.
- Shredded ham, diced chicken or any cold meats you desire.
- Extras: Avacado, Red Capsicum
First use cooking spray to grease the Tupperware Jel Ring base, then grate a little tasty cheese around the bottom of the Jel Ring.
Cut the crusts off the sliced bread, then cut again into halves.
I don’t throw out my crusts, I freeze them and re-use to make breadcrumbs:
- Next have your preparation area organised; two bowls for mixing the cream cheese and the bread ready.
- Slice, dice or chop your meat ingredient ~ ham off the bone in this case.
- In one bowl place the cream cheese and scoop two large tablespoons of Mayonnaise into it and mix together.
- Remove about ¼ cup of the mixture and place into the other bowl.
- Peel the dark green skin off the cucumber and continue to peel strips into the ¼ cup mixture stopping at the seeds(the seeds go into compost or to feed the chooks)
- Place the cold meat into the larger cream cheese mixture, and stir and mix both.
- Now arrange the bread around the base of the Tupperware Jel Ring overlapping the edge slightly till covering the whole base.
- Place the meat mixture into the bread cavity till all used up.
- Add another ingredient; I used avocado here, however you could also put sun-dried tomatoes, rocket leaves, mustard spread, or relish, pickles etc….the choice is endless. Don’t forget the salt and pepper though!
- Next arrange another layer of bread slices on top of the mixture (two hands are easier than one – but it’s harder to take a photo with both hands working at same time).
- Now place the cucumber mixture onto of this layer of bread and some capsicum strips (again you can use whatever ingredients you wish).
- Followed by the final layer of bread.
- Place the lid onto the Tupperware Jel Ring and refrigerate.
This can be made the night before or the same day you are attending the function. It only needs at least 10 – 20 minutes time in the fridge to set too.
The container does the rest for you!
Next step is to remove the middle insert; this will break the airtight seal (I don’t have a picture of this as I took the above sandwich to a party and didn’t photograph this step)
Gently push the sandwich out with your fingers onto the plate and lift the outer container ring off.
I guarantee that none will be left on the plate.
So here it is for all of you to share and enjoy!
You can also try baking with the Jel Ring too; here is another recipe: