- SHEPHERDS PIE2014-12-03 00:33:26Write a reviewCook Time40 minCook Time40 minIngredients
Prepare Pie Dish
- 500g mince beef
- 1 x brown onion
- Shallots or chives
- Fresh or dried herbs
- ½ cup plain flour
- ½ - ¾ cup stock
- 1 - 2 teaspoons of nutmeg or lemon rind
- Salt & pepper
- 4 x Large potatoes - mashed
- Grated tasty or parmesan cheese
- This recipe is also good to hide other vegetables, so you can add what ever you wish eg. carrots, celery, spinach, mushroom etc.
- Using Short Crust Pastry (see link in notes) roll out and line into a pie dish, (make sure you blind bake the pastry first; however you can skip blind baking and my CHEAT WAY (also in link below)!
- Mash the potatoes set aside and preheat oven.
- In a deep frying pan, fry your onions, shallots and herbs (and extra vegetables if using) in a little oil until the vegetables are soft. Add the mince and cook thoroughly till brown.
- Mix in the flour, nutmeg/lemon, salt and pepper. Pour in the stock and stir till mixture thickens. (If it is still watery at more flour or more stock if too thick).
- Remove prepared dish (pastry dish) from the freezer (or oven if blind baked the old fashioned way), pour mince beef mixture into frozen pastry pie dish. Level it out, place the mashed potato on top smoothing with the back of a large spoon.
- Sprinkle with cheese and place in a 230C oven for about 30-40 minutes.
No Excuses! http://noexcuseseasyorganising.com/
- Short crust pastry ~ http://noexcuseseasyorganising.com/home-made-easy-short-crust-pastry/
- Blind Baking - EASY cheat way ~ http://noexcuseseasyorganising.com/blind-baking-cheat-way/