- 1 large purple onion (could use brown too) ~ chopped
- 1 – 2 tablespoons crushed garlic or minced garlic
- 2 cups of fresh parsley ~ chopped (optional)
- 2 x 400g cans of Diced Tomatoes
- 1 x 140g tin of Tomato Paste
- 1 x 700ml Passata Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon of dried basil or mixed herbs
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 cup red wine
- Bay leaves
- 8 rissoles or 16 meatballs
Any other vegetables work well this recipe too such as chopped mushrooms, leak, celery, capsicum, zucchini.
I actually broke the already prepared rissoles (from Tasman Meats) in half and rolled them again to make the meatball sizes.
(Basic Rissoles – 1kg minced beef – 2 eggs and 1 cup breadcrumbs, mix and mould into shape)
In a large pot fry all the vegetables, herbs and garlic in a little olive and sauté until transparent.
Next, place the meat balls on top of cooked vegetables and toss and brown them.
(I added some chopped kransky frozen sausages to the pot too ~ an added extra)!
Pour in the tomato paste, diced tomatoes and wine. Stir gently then add bay leaves and salt n’ pepper to taste.
Place the lid on the pot and put into a 200C (392F) oven for about 30 – 40 minutes.
Serve on Basic Oven Rice.