EASY APRICOT CHICKEN
Two easy ways to cook this easy apricot chicken that the kids will love!
Write a review
- 1.5 kg chicken drumsticks/pieces
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup shallots
- 2 tablespoons mixed herbs
- 2 cloves garlic crushed or 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander (optional)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 x 400g tins apricot halves (or 1 large tin) - blended
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped into 2cm chunks
- 1 - 2 cups broccoli (optional)
- Large zip-lock or plastic bag
- 2 tablespoons oil (for fry pan method)
- CROCK-POT METHOD
- Put chicken pieces into a zip lock or plastic bag and add flour, dried herbs, garlic and spices. Shake and toss flour through until pieces are coated.
- In the bottom of the crock-pot bowl, place the shallots and onions.
- Pour the entire bag of chicken, flour and spices on top, followed by the blended apricots and stock.
- Place the chopped carrots on top layer and cook on LOW for 6 - 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 - 6 hours.
- Half hour before serving, turn to HIGH and add broccoli.
- FRY PAN / OVEN METHOD
- Heat oil in a heavy based casserole dish. Brown chicken on all sides. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Sauté onions, shallots and garlic in the same pan until tender.
- Stir through spices and fry one minute until aromatic.
- Add chicken stock and blended apricots and bring to the boil while scraping bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Return chicken legs to pan and reduce heat to a slow simmer.
- Add the carrots. Cover dish with lid and transfer to the oven and cook for 1 hour.
- Add the broccoli and cook for a further half hour.
- Serve on top of steamed rice.
No Excuses! https://noexcuseseasyorganising.com/