An easy and delicious soup that kids may even enjoy!
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 2 cups lentils - rinsed & drained
- 1 litre vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic or 2 garlic cloves - chopped
- 3 large carrots - chopped
- 4 celery stalks (including the leaves) - chopped
- 2 onions - chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Optional (extra vegetables can be added of your choice)
- 2 cups of cabbage - chopped
- 1 cup eggplant - chopped
- In a heavy large saucepan heat the oil and add the onions, celery, carrots, and garlic (and other vegetables); sauté until vegetables begin to brown for about 15 minutes. Add the stock, lentils, canned tomatoes and bring to boil. Place a lid and reduce heat to a simmer until lentils are tender - about 35 minutes. Use a stick/hand blender and puree until smooth. If too thick, thin soup with a little boiling water from the kettle. Season with salt and pepper and serve with some toasted bread.
- Lentils need to be either left soaking overnight or the quick method includes 1 cup of lentils to 3 cups of water; bring to boil and simmer for 30 minutes.